Dé Máirt, Feabhra 16, 2010

Pancake Lovers

Pancake Tuesday


The day after normal Monday when we eat Pancakes. How exciting eh? I guess the whole point is meant to be to eat your fill of the forbidden Lent foods such as butter, eggs, and flour.


So do any of you partake in Lent? And if so, what are you giving up? For many it's just become this religious idea that you give something up because its good for you. Maybe you'll give up sugar, or maybe you won't drink for 40 days (until Easter Sunday). Last year my friend Noreen had a really good idea to take on something for Lent, she wanted to put on weight - i thought this was one of the best ideas I'd seen. Lent has become this fashionable diet time for people with religious morals, but Noreen was being completely the opposite and tried to put on weight, because she saw the benefit to her. 


I would encourage any of you doing Lent to do it for the right reason and not just for a detox, or some sort of quick weight loss thing. Lent is a time of repentance, of remembering what Jesus went through in the desert, the temptation he faced before entering Jerusalem and being led to his death. 


Today I was drowning my sorrows in pancake batter, as yesterday I came so close to being at the Brit Awards, thanks to a great friend of mine. But at the last minutes flights were tripling, and the two friends coming with me could just not afford to do it on our own heads. I did however get an awesome outfit out of it! Liz, Uli and I made pancakes (well I made them and they ate them) and we hung out and listened to our favourite Brit nominee, Cheryl Cole. Haha. We then proceeded to just slum hanging out together and using our computers like a big depressed computer store. 


Tonight we are gonna dress up and watch the Brit Awards online. I'm not even sure if I want to, I just want to see the performances really. Tomorrow is Ash Wednesday, the day when we wear ashes on our forehead to show our repentance in the beginning of Lent. I am not gonna have ashes that are blessed by a priest, so many will think that my ashes don't count. But they will - it is also a good reminder that our of the ashes we came, and into the ashes we will go.


For Lent I had many ideas: to not speak for 40days, or to not spend any money, or keep my eyes closed for 40 days. I am not sure, i would like to do something that would benefit someone else. Upon my return to Herrnhut I will be doing something with Pick A Pocket called '30 Days' were, for 30 days I will not buy any food, but rely on others in an attempt to begin to understand extreme poverty in this area.


So, what are you giving up for Lent and why?

No comments: