Dé Luain, Meán Fómhair 01, 2008

What do you see?

It has now been over one week since I got to Kyrgyzstan.

My fingers ache at the joints from all the writing I've been doing. For those of you who do follow my adventures, you will be pleased to know there is a new book in the offing. I have got a nice new computer to write on, and I've got inspiration from this wonderful culture, so why not put it all to good use. I have already wrote my first 30 pages. This book is about a young man, growing and changing, adapting to new culture. Sounds like someone I know right?

Well, every day here brings something new. Just two days ago a local business erupted into flames before my eyes, the electric box popped and fizzled, and a families livlihood was destroyed before my very eyes. The flames grew higher and higher, licking the trees above with its bright red and orange tongue. Had they caught fire who knew how long it would have been until the entire corner turned shades of burnt orange. Thanks to the fast acting Kyrgyz fire men, in their dull red trucks, almost pink, the reds and oranges became a dark and dull cloud of smoke that rested in the air just above the business. Although today it had been replaced and it looks ready to open again. Not so much loss of the livlihood then. Who would have thought one business would have been so easy to replace.

Walking around Kyrgyzstan I notice several things. People stare at me. I would like to think it's because they see something in me, maybe Jesus, when really I know all they are seeing is the mohawk towering above my head (I trimmed it for the wedding) and the small silver balls that adorn my lower lip. Who is this foreigner? And why does he have holes in his face? Simple questions really. I am hoping that looking the way I do will open doors. God gimme this face for a reason right?

The other thing I notice is how no matter how hard I try, I am not satisfied with the ammount of God I experience. I am getting so hungry, so thirsty for more. I can't seem to keep my fingers from flipping through the bible, scrolling out my favourite verses, the words bubbling in my throat until I spill them out. My desire to share is spilling out. I got to share a little bit with a few people I ahve come across. A lady from the bank on the phone, a student in the streets, other 'workers' here that can't believe I am here.

I am surprised that people are surprised that I came here myself, that I wasn't made to, that I don't have much money, just faith and an expectation to see God do his work in this marvellous country.

It is Kyrgyzstan's time. Keep an eye out.

2 comments:

jenish said...

I found your blog!!! I'll be reading one blog a day and go back to where you have started... To the first one. My computer is full of viruses that won't even let me open my internet browser, but that won't stop me from reading your blog. It's a blessing to have you around buddy, and I'm very glad you took a step of faith to come out to this unreached land. Oh by the way, Jim calls me "UPG" sometimes, which basically means, Unreached People Group. You can call me that if you like.

Kristel said...

Hey I am so proud of you and miss you heaps. I'm sorry I did not get to say goodbye. Dumb hurricanes! People were kayaking through the streets of my neighborhood and surfing in the ditches..literally. You would have loved it. Anyway just wanted you to know you are in my prayers.